Board of Parks and Recreation
December 02, 1996
A recording of the Agenda is available at 604-257-8507.
- Minutes of the regular meeting of the Board held on Monday,
November 25, 1996 .
- Minutes of the in-camera meeting of the Board held on Monday,
November 25, 1996.
CHAIR'S REPORT 1996
Commissioner Chesman to report on past year's operations.
The Chair asks the City Clerk to swear in the new Board.
- OATH OF OFFICE
The City Clerk to read the election returns advising that:
David Chesman, Allan DeGenova, Alan Fetherstonhaugh, Laura McDiarmid,
Patrick Warren, Duncan Wilson and Gabriel Yong
received the highest number of votes and were declared Commissioners
elect for the years 1997-1999.
Ms. Maria Kinsella, City Clerk, to administer the Oath of Office to
the Commissioners elect.
- ELECTION OF CHAIR
- The following are excerpts from the Board's Procedure By-law:
- "The General Manager shall call the first Board meeting of the year
to order and conduct the meeting for election of the Chair or until
an acting Chair is appointed. The General Manager shall proceed in
the same manner whenever the chair is vacant until the Board fills
- "The presiding officer of the Board shall be its Chair who shall be
elected by a majority vote from among the Board members present.
- The election of Chair shall be by ballot and shall take place at the
first meeting in December of each year but if the vote is indecisive,
the election shall take place at the next or subsequent meetings until
the matter is determined.
- If a Chair is not elected at the first meeting, the Board shall appoint
an acting Chair who shall conduct the Board's meetings until a Chair
- The term of the Chair commences on the date of the election as Chair
and terminates on the date of the first meeting in December next ensuing
or, if in the last year of a term of office as a member of the Board,
at the end of the term of office.
- If the office of Chair becomes vacant, the Board shall forthwith elect
a new Chair on the basis herein described.
- The Chair shall vote on all questions submitted and shall have the
same rights and be subject to the same restrictions on participating
in debate as other members of the Board."
- ELECTION OF VICE CHAIR
- VICE CHAIR
- "There shall be a Vice Chair elected in the same manner and for the
same term as the Chair. The Chair shall preside during the election
of the Vice Chair.
- When the Chair is unable to carry out all or any of the duties of
the presiding officer, the Vice Chair of the Board or in the absence
of the Vice Chair, such other appointed Board member, shall act for
the Chair until such time as the Board makes other arrangements.
- If the office of Vice Chair becomes vacant, the Board shall forthwith
elect a new Vice Chair on the basis herein described."
- EXPENDITURE WARRANTS - 1997
- Recommendation: THAT the Board authorize the General
Manager to draw warrants pursuant to Section 493 of the City Charter
for the twelve month period of 1997.
- It is normal practice for the Board at the first meeting in each year
to authorize the General Manager to draw warrants pursuant to Section
493 of the City Charter for expenditures by the Board for the twelve
month period of 1997. The following are the pertinent sections of
the City Charter.
- "Section 493 -
- Save by resolution of the Council, the Board shall not
authorize or make any
expenditures except those provided for in the estimate as
adopted by the Council.
- The Board may, for a period of not more than twelve months
at a time, give authorization in advance to the General Manager
to draw warrants for payment prior to approval of the Board,
but every warrant for a payment so authorized in advance shall
be reported in writing by the General Manager to the Board
within fifteen days after the end of the month in which the
warrant is drawn."
NOTICE OF MOTION
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: Monday, December 09, 1996 at 7:00 pm
(THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE SUBMITTED FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY AND
NOT FOR DISCUSSION UNLESS RAISED BY A BOARD MEMBER)
- Approval of Warrants
Warrant #49 in the amount of $355,309.07.