Committee and Board Meeting Highlights
October 15, 2012
The following information is intended
to provide quick highlights of this scheduled
Board meeting. Every attempt has been made
to summarize these highlights as accurately
as possible; however, the complete and
official minutes will be posted
on the website
on the Monday one week prior to the next
scheduled Board meeting.
Meeting Agenda - October 15, 2012
Park Board Committee Meeting
The Chair reported on recent events – official opening of the Tap & Barrel restaurant in the Village at False Creek and Diamond Jubilee tree dedication ceremony in Queen Elizabeth Park.
Stanley Park Cycling Plan Implementation Strategy
The Board adopted the Stanley Park Cycling Plan to provide direction for further cycling improvements in the park, and approved the implementation strategy which will ensure the highest priority projects are put in place or designed. Staff will report back on projects requiring further study or extraordinary capital funding.
Commissioner Sharma put forward a motion that the Urban Forest Action Plan be completed by September 2013 and include the following:
- recognize the desire for considerably more food-bearing and native trees while maintaining the goals of mitigating climate change, promoting biodiversity and increasing access to nature, and taking into account public health issues such as allergies to specific tree species
- include a community engagement process to consider input from the public regarding the management of local trees
- include comprehensive life-cycle management of existing and new trees
- Include soil quantity requirements that use the Toronto’s Green Development Standard as a minimum for trees on private and public land to ensure the myriad health, ecological and economic benefits that urban trees can provide, including the significant storm water management benefits
- provide options for the Board to consider regarding making wood from trees that must be removed available to local artisans or put to other sustainable uses.
And, that staff report back to the Board with options for protecting healthy mature trees.
And, that the Park Board work with the City to establish a Landmark Tree Program to celebrate trees of particular significance.
The motion carried.
Commissioner Coupar put forward a motion that the Board direct staff to consult with the City of Vancouver Legal Services to develop a report to the Board identifying strategies and legal means to ensure that Parks and Green Spaces are protected in perpetuity;
And, that the public be fully informed on a regular basis on progress and that staff report back to the Board on such progress every 6 months.
The motion carried.
Regular Board Meeting
General Manager’s Report
The General Manager reported on the Park Board being awarded the Architecture Canada Architecture Advocacy Award for 2012 for design excellence on a number of facility projects.
Report of the Park Board Committee
The Board approved the recommendations of Committee: Stanley Park Cycling Plan Implementation Strategy, Motion re Urban Forest Action Plan and Protection for Mature Trees, and Motion re Protection of Vancouver’s Public Parks and Green Spaces (see Committee highlights above).
Notice of Motion
Commissioner De Genova put forward a notice of motion re community centre association joint operating agreements.
Commissioner Coupar put forward a notice of motion re in camera meetings.
The next Park Board Committee Meeting will be held at 7 pm on Monday, November 5, 2012 at 2099 Beach Avenue with next Regular Park Board Meeting held immediately following the Committee Meeting that evening