Committee and Board Meeting Highlights
The following information is intended
to provide quick highlights of this scheduled
Board meeting. Every attempt has been made
to summarize these highlights as accurately
as possible; however, the complete and
official minutes will be posted
on the website on the Monday one week prior to the next
scheduled Board meeting.
Meeting Agenda - April 28, 2014
Park Board Committee Meeting
Trans* and Gender-Variant Inclusion Working Group
The Park Board’s TGVI Working Group, established in 2013, reported on engagement findings and priority recommendations aimed at enhancing service quality and access to facilities. The Board heard from speakers and approved the following:
THAT the Vancouver Park Board receive the report, entitled “Building a Path to Parks & Recreation for All”, prepared by the Trans* and Gender Variant Inclusion (TGVI) Working Group and
- THAT the Trans* and Gendered-Variant Inclusion Working Group remain in place until December 1, 2014, to assist with the implementation of Quick Start Recommendations;
- The Vancouver Park Board direct staff to create a new "Trans* and Gender Variant Implementation Steering Committee" starting on December 1, 2014, to assist staff with the implementation of actions recommended in the report;
- The Board direct staff to provide a status update on the progress of the implementation process and key outcomes, within one year.
The motion carried with an amendment (addition of paragraph A and slight change to B).
Supporting BC’s Network of Parks: Opposition to the Provincial Park Amendment Act
The Board heard from speakers regarding an April 14 Board motion opposing the Park Amendment Act and directed staff to write to the Provincial Government to request a reversal of this legislation and to restore the original Park Act to provide better protection to British Columbia’s vital network of park land.
The motion carried.
Regular Board Meeting
Park Board approved holding an In Camera meeting on May 12, 2014.
General Manager’s Report
Park Board related items at Council and Committee this week include
a Proclamation for Emergency Preparedness Week and the City of Vancouver’s 2013 Annual Financial Report.
Report of the Park Board Committee
The Board approved the recommendations of Committee: Trans* and Gender-Variant Inclusion Working Group and Supporting BC’s Network of Parks: Opposition to the Provincial Park Amendment (see Committee highlights above).
Motions on Notice
Commissioner Jasper put forward a motion THAT:
- Staff prepare a report to the Board by July 2014 on the Vancouver Aquarium’s current operations that pertain to cetaceans and review the operations of other comparable Aquariums that may or may not have captive cetaceans;
- Staff provide a public memo with an overview of the current agreements and relationship between the Vancouver Park Board and the Vancouver Aquarium, and post it on the Vancouver Park Board website;
- Staff invite the Vancouver Aquarium to present to the Park Board on their programming, education and rehabilitation related to cetaceans, as well as their work with other aquariums.
- Staff ensure that the public is given a full and timely opportunity to review the report, provide comments, and speak to the report.
The motion carried with an amendment (addition of paragraph D).
Commissioner Coupar put forward a motion:
THAT the Vancouver Park Board, subject to conducting a suitable public consultation similar to that of the recently-approved temporary community garden located on City-owned land to the east of the Village on False Creek, support a temporary expansion of the fenced, off-leash area for dogs on City-owned land on the west side of Hinge Park, with all details to the satisfaction of the General Manager of the Park board and Real Estate Services.
The motion was referred to staff.
Notice of Motions
Commissioner De Genova gave notice of motion re: Cost Analysis and Budget for the Southeast Seniors Centre.
Commissioner Blyth gave notice of motion re: Blue Flag.
The next Park Board Committee Meeting will be held on Monday, May 12, 2014 at 2099 Beach Avenue with the next Regular Park Board Meeting held immediately following the Committee Meeting that evening.