Committee and Board Meeting Highlights
November 4, 2013
The following information is intended
to provide quick highlights of this scheduled
Board meeting. Every attempt has been made
to summarize these highlights as accurately
as possible; however, the complete and
official minutes will be posted
on the website on the Monday one week prior to the next
scheduled Board meeting.
Meeting Agenda - November 4, 2013
Park Board Meeting
The Board varied the order of the agenda to deal with New Business first.
Under New Business the Board moved to convene a Committee meeting in order to hear from speakers re. the motion submitted by Commissioner Coupar and Commissioner De Genova:
MOTION - SPECIAL MEETING November 4, 2013
CALLED BY: John Coupar and Melissa De Genova
- Information regarding the Route of the Kits Beach Park / Hadden Park Portion of the Kitsilano Seaside Greenway Upgrade contained in RFP No PS20130532 was not provided to the public and/or Commissioners as part of the consultation process prior to the vote on October 7, 2013.
- Key community stakeholders (Kitsilano Beach Volleyball Association, Kits Beach Basketball Alumni Association, Kitsilano Beach Tennis Club, Canada One Athletic Foundation, Kitsilano Point Residents Association) were unaware of the proposal until hours before the October 7 Meeting.
- The Seniors Advisory Group and the Persons with Disabilities Committee have also confirmed that they were not consulted and did not have prior knowledge of the specific proposal.
- Park Board Chair, Sarah Blyth, issued a media release on October 18, 2013, stating that an Advisory Group would be formed consisting of sports groups and community members to review the Kits Beach Park / Hadden Park bike lane route.
- To date the Advisory Group has not been constituted or met.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED:
- The Advisory Group is formed with input from and approval of key stakeholders and the group's participants are approved by the Park Board at our November 18th, 2013 Park Board meeting.
- Meetings of the Advisory Group should be Clerked and have administrative support.
- The Advisory Group formed will fully review the Seaside Greenway Route (Kits Beach /Hadden Park portion) and report back to the Park Board with their recommendation for any changes.
- Once the participants of the Advisory Group have been approved, staff will advise the public regarding the number of members on the Advisory Group, meeting timeline, participant names, public meeting dates, and the date of the expected final report.
The Regular Board recessed and the Park Board Committee convened.
Staff provided an update on the Hadden and Kitsilano Seaside Greenway.
The motion put forward by Commissioners Coupar and De Genova was defeated.
Park Board Meeting
The Regular Park Board meeting reconvened.
General Manager’s Report
Park Board related item at Council this week: motion regarding Federal and Provincial government funding request for the Vancouver Seniors Centre
Report of the Park Board Committee
The Board approved the report of the Committee (see above highlights).
The next Park Board Committee Meeting will be held at 7 pm on Monday, November 18, 2013 at 2099 Beach Avenue with next Regular Park Board Meeting held immediately following the Committee Meeting that evening.