Committee and Board Meeting Highlights
The following information is intended
to provide quick highlights of this scheduled
Board meeting. Every attempt has been made
to summarize these highlights as accurately
as possible; however, the complete and
official minutes will be posted
on the website on the Monday one week prior to the next
scheduled Board meeting.
Meeting Agenda - February 3, 2014
Park Board Committee Meeting
Proposed Public Art for Guelph Park – Dude Chilling Park
The Board accepted the donation of the Dude Chilling Park sign, a site-specific artwork created for Guelph Park. The sign, by artist Victor Briestensky, celebrates the unique characteristics of the park and its neighbouring community.
Kiteboarding Pilot Program
Staff presented information update on the upcoming Kiteboarding pilot program, including designated launch area at Spanish Banks West.
Festival of Lights and Bright Nights
Staff presented an information update on the record attendance at the 2013 Festival of Lights in VanDusen Botanical Garden and Bright Nights in Stanley Park events.
Regular Board Meeting
General Manager’s Report
Park Board related items at Council and Committee this week include: Greenest City update, Oakridge Transit Centre policy planning, Great Northern Way Campus Plan, two motions regarding the Killarney Seniors’ Centre, and discussion on the Pearson Dogwood Policy Statement.
Report of the Park Board Committee
The Board approved the recommendation of Committee: Proposed Public Art for Guelph Park – Dude Chilling Park (see Highlights above).
Motions on Notice
Commissioner Loke put forward a motion that the Chair of the Vancouver Park Board appoint an official liaison to the Vancouver Sport Network; and further that the Vancouver Park Board support the ongoing work of the Vancouver Sport Network and recognize its vital role as an organization which champions sports in the City of Vancouver. The motion was carried.
Commissioner Coupar put forward a motion that:
- Staff be directed to compile a registry of Park Board buildings and sites with significant heritage value
- Staff be directed to work in conjunction with the planned City of Vancouver (COV) Vancouver Heritage Register update
- Staff be directed to develop, in conjunction with City of Vancouver (COV) heritage staff, an overall Historical Context Statement for the Park Board.
- Staff be directed to create individual Statements of Historical Significance once such buildings and sites have been identified.
- Staff provide updates to the Vancouver Heritage Commission to keep the Commission advised of progress.
The motion was referred to staff.
Commissioner De Genova put forward a motion that:
- Vancouver Park Board direct the General Manager to work with Park Board and City Staff and report back within 30 days with an estimated total cost of a 10,000 square foot Seniors Centre, including a commercial kitchen and separate elevator.
- Park Board direct the General Manager to work with City Staff and report back to the Park Board with a timeline for architectural drawings and a projected date to begin construction of the South East Seniors Centre.
- Staff explore the possibility of including a roof top garden on top of the South East Seniors Centre which would be ideal for events at the centre and for the general enjoyment of seniors and would help the Park Board to meet its goal as a leader in greening.
- Park Board, in a formal letter to Mayor and Vancouver City Council, commit to assist in expediting the construction of the South East Seniors Centre
The motion was referred to staff.
Commissioner De Genova put forward a motion re appreciation to the Federal and Provincial Governments for contributing funds to the South East Vancouver Seniors’ Centre. The motion was amended to move that:
- The Chair of the Park Board write a formal letter, on behalf of the Vancouver Park Board, to the Prime Minister and Vancouver South MP Wai Young, expressing thanks and appreciation for the Federal Government’s generous contribution to the South East Seniors Centre.
- The Chair of the Park Board write a formal letter, on behalf of the Vancouver Park Board, to the Premier and Vancouver Fraserview MLA Suzanne Anton, expressing thanks and appreciation for the Provincial Government’s generous contribution to the South East Seniors Centre.
- The Chair of the Park Board write a formal letter, on behalf of the Vancouver Park Board, to the Mayor, Councillor Raymond Louie, former Commissioner RajHundal, Lorna Gibbs of the Southeast Vancouver Seniors’ Arts & Cultural Society, and the Killarney Community Centre Association, expressing thanks and appreciation for their generous contribution to the South East Seniors Centre.
The motion as amended was carried.
The next Park Board Committee Meeting will be held on Monday, February 17, 2014 at 2099 Beach Avenue with next Regular Park Board Meeting held immediately following the Committee Meeting that evening.